Tooth loss has been prevailing globally for centuries, which is aesthetically unappealing. It can lead to compromised physical health due to hampered masticatory functions. Replacing the lost tooth is the primary goal of any dental specialist to enhance your oral cavity. And what better way than dental implants? These are the most preferred tooth replacement options since they offer a permanent solution.
The Denver family dentist and their team specialize in premium-quality dental implants using biocompatible material to facilitate easy fusion with the jawbone.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are permanent fixtures that mimic the lost tooth roots. These are screw-like posts that are surgically inserted into the jawbone, providing a strong base and anchorage to final restorations like crowns, dentures, and bridges. Made up of titanium alloys most of the time, these posts fuse with the jawbone through a process called osseointegration.
Dental implants are excellent alternatives for people with malfunctioning or poorly fitting dentures and bridgework.
What are the prerequisites for a successful dental implant?
Dental implants are mostly recommended to replace teeth that have been compromised, lost, or broken beyond repair.
But to get an implant, there are certain prerequisites for a successful outcome. You must:
- Have sufficient bone thickness to insert the implant post.
- Have healthy gums that are free from periodontal disease.
- Follow a good oral hygiene regime.
- Be an adult since young patients often do not have fully developed jawbones.
- Be patient till the posts fuse with the jawbone.
- Be willing to give time for the implant procedures.
What to expect during an implant placement?
This is what you can expect during an implant placement:
- You will undergo an in-depth oral examination and a series of X-rays to determine if you need a dental implant or if it is an ideal option for your individual needs.
- You will be given anesthesia (a numbing agent) before removing any tooth remnants.
- The socket will be cleaned thoroughly with a saline solution.
- A small incision will be made to raise a gum flap and expose the underlying jawbone.
- A tiny hole will be drilled using ultrasonic instruments.
- A titanium post will be fixed in your jawbone.
- The gum flap will be repositioned and sutured.
- Your bone will be given time to heal and fuse with the titanium post.
Dental implants are revolutionary alternatives to missing teeth that offer permanent solutions and have a high success rate, providing long-term benefits. They help enhance your overall appearance and boost your self-confidence.